My Aged Care

My Aged Care is the government-funded system that provides access to aged care services for people 65 years or older (or 50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander People). Whatever your situation, specific needs, or background, My Aged Care can provide services that help you live independently, access short-term care, or find support to move into an aged care home. 

Eligibility for My Aged Care is assessed on age and factors like your health, how you’re managing at home, and support you currently receive. If you are eligible for My Aged Care, you will have a face-to-face assessment to better understand your circumstances and needs and help you identify services that might best suit you. 

Click here to read more about eligibility.


Why is this relevant to People Living with HIV who are 50+ (PLHIV50+)?

My Aged Care may become more important for PLHIV50+ as they age and require more assistance in their day-to-day lives. While NDIS is specific to the needs of people with a disability who are under 65 years of age, My Aged Care focuses on supporting people over 65 with activities that may become more difficult over time.  

 My Aged Care seeks to provide access to relevant and meaningful support that will assist you to maintain independence and live in your own home for as long as possible. For PLHIV50+ who are over the age of 65, My Aged Care means life can continue as normal, but you can get help for the things you need if and when you require it. 


Applying for My Aged Care

The best way to start is by looking at the types of care that My Aged Care offers to see how this may be of benefit to you in your current situation.

Click here for information on types of care. 

If you are eligible and believe that you can benefit from the services available, you will need to book an assessment. This is a face-to-face assessment where you will discuss your needs and where you could benefit from extra help.

Click here for information on assessment.

After your assessment, you can then choose a provider who will arrange your services and ensure that you get the best out of your My Aged Care package. There is also support for LGBTQIA+ people to ensure they have the same opportunities in home care and aged care that are available to all Australians.

Click here for information on LGBTQIA+ support services. 


Who can help with My Aged Care services?

 If you need some help, the My Aged Care team can answer most of your questions over the phone.

Call 1800 200 422 

If you require support in a different language, please click the below: 

Support for older culturally and linguistically diverse people


Otherwise, you may want to speak to a family member, loved one or your healthcare provider, as they may be able to support you in this process and help find answers on your behalf. 


Or, you may choose to speak to contact one of the below organisations who can provide support: 

Peer Navigators | Living Positive Victoria
Community Support | Thorne Harbour Health
HIV program | Bolton Clarke
HIV services & clinics | Alfred Health